Every time you buy Apple products, Apple will ask you to add AppleCare+ to your purchase. But is it worth it?
How AppleCare Works
Most people aren’t big fans of extended warranties. You probably have an extended warranty period on your credit card (be sure to check and take advantage of those perks), or you feel that most technology doesn’t fail often enough to make it worth buying an extended warranty for every device.
AppleCare+ is a protection plan introduced by Apple to provide buyers with easy and affordable post-purchase service options. Most Apple software and hardware products include unlimited complimentary support incidents within the first 90 days of product ownership — or longer if required by law. (Apple Watch Edition comes with two years of complimentary support.) This initial support period is called AppleCare (see the support-related materials included with your Apple product or visit the AppleCare Products page for more information). AppleCare+ extends support for up to 3 years (or beyond), and you can purchase and activate it up to a year after device purchase. It can be easy to forget, so we recommend buying it at the time of purchase.
What are the Benefits of AppleCare+?
AppleCare+ covers different things for different Apple devices. You might find it more precious for your MacBook because notebook repairs can be costly. However, we recommend it for all devices. Here’s why:
- What does AppleCare+ cover for MacBook? AppleCare+ covers repairs on all your Mac’s parts, including the battery (if the full charge capacity drops lower than 80% during your warranty period). All repairs are fully covered so long as they are not caused by explicit computer misuse (physical damage or liquid exposure). In the event of accidental damage, AppleCare+ offers repairs at a very affordable cost. For example, replacing your Mac’s damaged display can cost around $300-500 depending on the variant and size. But with AppleCare+, you can get it repaired for $99. The plan allows up to two such incidents per year.
- What does AppleCare+ cover for iPhones & iPads? AppleCare+ covers all parts of your iPhone and the battery if its full charge capacity drops lower than 80%. The plan also covers the accessories included in the box. The guidelines for repairs are the same as those for Macs — anything other than accidental damage is covered in full. You can also get very economical accidental damage repairs with AppleCare+, but just like with Macs, you are only allowed two incidents per year.
- Doesn’t Ntiva replace the need for AppleCare? Although Ntiva does provide software support, only Apple provides hardware coverage. Your employees will have the best experience with the Apple devices they use when you combine our comprehensive software support and knowledge of hardware repairs with Apple’s hardware coverage. Hardware coverage includes the following:
- Your Apple device
- Battery service if it retains less than 80% of its original capacity
- Included accessories such as the power adapter
- Apple memory (RAM)
- Apple USB SuperDrive
- Up to two incidents of accidental damage protection every 12 months, each subject to a service fee of $99 for screen damage or external enclosure damage, or $299 for other damage, plus applicable tax.
How much does AppleCare+ Cost?
AppleCare+ retail rates as of Dec 2021 range from $79 for an iPhone SE to $379 for a 16-inch MacBook Pro. However, most businesses will get discounts through their ecommerce.apple.com store.
Is it worth paying for AppleCare/AppleCare+?
AppleCare+ is an optional investment that we strongly recommend for your managed devices. It makes sense for your highly mobile users who may be worried about accidental device damage. And it’s essential for your team working from the office, so they know their workstation will be covered for years to come. It also helps limit budget volatility by ensuring that repairs are fully covered or highly discounted during the warranty period.
In short, AppleCare+ ensures your team will get a full three years of productivity from your Apple investment.
The way we see it, protecting your Apple devices is like car insurance. No matter how safely you drive, accidents — and unexpected hardware failures — can happen. We recommend purchasing AppleCare+ alongside your Apple device — you never know when you might need it.
You Can Renew AppleCare+
If you previously bought AppleCare+ for your device you can extend coverage indefinitely on a monthly basis when the plan ends. Also, see Is Your AppleCare+ Expiring? You Can Now Renew It.
Please sign in to leave a comment.